Monday, April 11, 2011

Internship week 13 Alternative Energy Lecture:

Since my internship centers around becoming more proficient with teaching; one of the main activities that Sarah wanted me to gain experience with was designing and presenting lessons. I needed to come up with a topic that I was knowledgeable about and would relate back to the current chapter material. I settled on Alternative Energy, because I personally find it fascinating and I think that it is an issue my generations is dangerously ignorant about.
      Earlier in the semester I spoke with Susan Cooper concerning statigies for trying to engage students with the curriculum. I wanted my activity to make the class think about the issue, before giving them all the answers in my presentation. To do this I created a worksheet where each student would pretend to be the town mayor, trying to list alternative energy sources, on which to run the town after an oil embargo with the middle east.

Overall the presentation and group discussion went quite well. The class particularly enjoyed the examples I brought in of different alternative technologies. Susan Cooper and Mike Savarese were also kind enough to observe the lesson so that I could receive some extra feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment